Thursday, June 12, 2008

Juno: Good or Bad?

Christian reviewers have taken a critical view of the movie Juno. For those of you who haven't seen it the movie is about a young girl (Juno) who is pregnant, confused and wants to have an abortion. When Juno arrives at the abortion clinic a young girl (Su-Chin) is standing outside protesting against abortion. After the encounter with Su-Chin Juno decides against abortion. After making the decision to not have an abortion Juno decides to place her baby up for adoption. The movie then follows the ups and downs of Juno's pregnancy and the adoption process. Not to ruin the ending for those that haven't seen the movie but scene in the hospital showing Paulie Bleeker and Juno as confused teenagers is powerful. It is important to note the movie does not show the teenagers going on with super-duper lives after the birth and adoption of the baby.
The magazines "Plugged In" and "Brio Girl" say Juno does not have a realistic ending, and two friends go back to normal teen-hood. I agree with the magazines that the movie is not a accurate representation of how pregnancy and adoption work. But the Juno story is very uplifting that shows teenagers they can choose life over abortion. I believe Focus on the Family misses that point. In the magazine "Brio Girl" it says Juno shows that pre-marital sex pregnancy is a fun adventure for teens. For a non-Christian movie I feel Juno is a very encouraging movie for girls and boys. The movie shows a girl who can make it through a pregnancy and a boy who doesn't run. This is important because so many times young men bail on the girl leaving her feeling that there is no other option but abortion. Juno is a good movie just to sit down for a laugh but it also presents a good message!

I feel Focus on the Family did not represent the movie in an accurate way, I just wish that they could realize that this movie has shown the light on teen pregnancy in a different way. My message to Focus on the Family is this; instead of writing bad reviews on Juno make a "Christian Juno" movie if you feel that strongly!! It makes me angry that a great movie like Juno is not good enough in the eyes of the Christian community!! Christians don't go telling your friends that this is a bad movie because it ISN'T! Focus on the Family makes Christians look like idiots writing reviews like they have in "Brio Girl" and "Plugged In". It breaks my heart that we Christians get so stubborn about the silliest things.
I do want you all to know that I don't think Juno is a perfect movie but it does show light on Pregnancy in a positive way. And for the secular world to do a movie with a pro-life message is amazing. We should embrace it instead of push it away because I guarantee the pro-life message of the movie reached at least ONE girl in this world!!
I hope that you enjoyed this post, please comment on my thoughts! And if you have seen Juno or Bella please comment me with your thoughts!! I love feedback!! Thank you so so so much for reading!!

Movie Watch: If you have seen "Juno", "Bella" is another great family movie to rent and watch! Here is a really short summary.
An international soccer star is on his way to sign a multi-million dollar contract when a series of events unfold that bring his career to an abrupt end. A beautiful waitress, struggling to make it in New York City, discovers something about herself that she's unprepared for. In one irreversible moment, their lives are turned upside down... until a simple gesture of kindness brings them both together, turning an ordinary day to an unforgettable experience.

8 comments:

Emmychka said...

Yeah, I kinda could care less what those Christian honchos who think they are holy have to say.

I remember them dogging Brian Luttrell because he had started his solo career after Backstreet Boys in the Christian industry and Brio and Plugged In were like, "Yeah what's the point of doing this now?" Blah blah.

I kept going. Wow Imagine all the girls who will buy his album and hear about Christ's love for the first time because they followed him from a secular band into a Christian solo album.

Just goes to show sometimes we as Christians get too big for our own briches.

Stephanie said...

Mhmmmm! tru dat! haha.
It made me quite upset what they wrote about Juno because I loved that movie, and I loved the message!! ohh and I love youu!!

Anonymous said...

Juno was a great movie. I felt it had some great laughs, but you are definitely right. It sends a very powerful message. I also hope that, that one girl it could make a difference for as you mentioned, really happens. I know it helped open my eyes to things like that. :]

Stephanie said...

Awesome! It really is a hilarious movie! When I get the cash it's one that is deffinatly going on the shelf! I don't get why Focus on the Family doesn't see it's positive qualities. I mean if we go see it with a negetive attitude we won't like it but if we go witha positive one we have a better chance of liking it!

Thanks for letting me know that my writing isn't in vain. ;D I love and miss you girl!

Kevin said...

Could not agree with you more about the self righteous, judgmental folks at Focus on the Family. Juno was not intended to be a Christian movie but it shows that a young girl who is pregnant can choose life over abortion and make it through the struggles that go with that decision.

Stephanie said...

Haha. Your absolutly right no one likes "judgemental folks"! Its very rare these days you see movies that are pro-life that are't christian! So I think Focus on the Family should be happy about this movie! ANd your right, about the Christian part, just because Juno doesn't have the Christian label, doesn't mean it can't reach people.

Thank you for commenting paps!!

:D

chad said...

steph you're smart. i agree with you and i'm glad you're able to tell the difference between a movie and real life. hollywood never said they would make movies to make christians happy. they just make movies.

Kevin said...

This morning in his sermon Pastor Mike was talking about his new grandson, a baby boy his son daughter-in-law adopted last week. He showed a clip from the movie "Juno" (the scene in front of the abortion clinic) and then said that even though the movie is not Christian the movie had a positive message of choosing life over abortion. You would have loved the sermon. So if you are frustrated with self righteous Christians and organizations like Focus on the Family take heart; in your church your pastor agrees with you and preached it from the pulpit on Sunday morning!