Today as my dad and I listened to the radio on the way to the airport we heard the most bizarre story. The story really got me thinking about how people will do almost anything for comfort. I think all of us to some level do things to be comfortable like air conditioning, warm blankets, cushy bike seats, comfy shoes, clothes, the list goes on and on. Comfort is not a bad thing it is definitely a bonus to living in this day and age where we have things that help us be comfortable. But then there are some people who go to the extremes to make sure they are in the most comfortable environment/state they could possibly be in. One example of this would be what golfers know as the "Jelly Boy". The Jelly Boy is a person who covers themselves in jelly and follow around a golfer so the mosquito's will bite himself instead of the golfer. "How ridiculous!" you might be thinking, which was exactly my first reaction when I heard that too! Who would take a job like that?? Was my second thought! Well I guess if you are going to get malaria why not get paid for it right?!? A way that Allison and I like to stay comfortable on airplanes is we make as much of a ruckus, and be as annoying as we can so no one will want to sit between us (it works 98% of the time)! It is a fact that people go to great lengths to be comfortable, which in all cases is not bad, some are just plan silly. And if you really think about it is actually quite silly what we will do to be comfortable.We live in such a materialistic age, and in a world where we feel everything should be about "ME ME ME!!!". We are willing to put other people into discomfort for our own comfort. I definitely struggle with only thinking of myself sometimes and is something I have been working on, and hope to break free of my selfish thinking. I feel that the world might turn a little smoother if we all could realize that this world does not revolve around just himself, there are 60 billion other people out there trying just as hard as you to find your place in the world. Next time you feel uncomfortable in any way (emotionally, physically, mentally) just take a deep breath and try to have a positive attitude. With a positive attitude almost anything can be "comfortable". If you live in America, or have a house with heating, cooling, a bed, indoor plumbing, and electricity etc. you are way above the average person in the world, so many of us (especially myself) can be very selfish, so lets to something to change that! Life is only what we allow it to be. So today go out with a positive attitude, and live today as today and let tomorrow worry about itself. :]
Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
5 comments:
Let me make you a list of things that I don't have that you named:
-no hot water
-no air conditioning
-no central heating
-sometimes no water at all
-no personal space whatsoever
And others. Personally after living here, I think Americans are the biggest group of whiners on the planet.
That's all.
PS: That jelly thing is just weird. :-\
Ya I like to be comfortable too. But is showing me that by making me uncomfortable, I'll get of my dead butt and do something instead of just enjoying being comfortable. I am trying to accept whatever my current situation is and ask how I might make the best of it. Some times I do well, other times... I'm just a whiny American! Be blessed Stef... keep asking questions and keep looking for answers
thank you! I am totally a whiny american everydayy! being comfortable is overrated these days! i think we need to realize that being comfortable in what we feel its in our attitude!!
well thanks for commenting.
I understand what you are saying. I have shared some of the stories of my childhood and how hard it was. When I was a young boy I loved to watch television. I would set for hours totally engrossed in the programs. It was only later that I found out we didn't even have a television. My parents didn't have the money to buy a television so my mother would sit me down in front of her front-loading washing machine and I would watch the clothes go through a wash cycle. I thought I was watching television. Very rough childhood for me.
hahahaha you crack me up paps!!
always can make me laugh!! great post!!
Post a Comment